collapse

Author Topic: What dog food, do you feed your shorkie?  (Read 8683 times)

Offline tons_911

• View Profile
What dog food, do you feed your shorkie?
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:57:35 AM »
When I first got Jolie, she was on EVO, which was fabulous.

Then the dumb vet's switched her to pd, which is not good and DO NOT SWITCH TO PD! The vet's make money from this pet food.

Now I switched her on to Halo, which is the Ellen Degeneres pet food line. The reason I chose Halo is because it is very high on fiber, which Jolie needs because she used to scoot a lot.
http://www.halopets.com/

Anyone on any of these brands or anything else?

Offline Ann

• Shorkies are so cute
    • View Profile
Re: What dog food, do you feed your shorkie?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:29:09 PM »
I give Toby a tin of tuna in oil once a week chich keeps his coat shiny and help with the oils in his skin. I also give him trays of food the brand is called natures gift but I live in Australia so I don't know if you can get it where you live. As far as dry food I give him Purina. I do also make my own up sometimes. The biggest thing is you just have to try them with a little bit to make sure their little tummies can handel it. :o
Ann

Offline Mai Tai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:44:07 PM »
Mai Tai is on Beneful Puppy dry food because that is what he has had since he was born, but given the price (inexpensive), I don't think it is the best food in the world.  He seems to do well on it though.  I also mix it with some cooked chicken, pork, beef and ham that I make along with some veggies.  I don't cook for the dog alone but put aside whatever I am cooking for my family that seems appropriate for him.

Offline codysmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 04:48:12 PM »
Thank you for starting this post! Cody is on Eukanuba at the breeder right now, so I'll at lest get one bag of that, but I was looking at Iams small breed formula and was thinking about doing that one. But I'm still learning so I'm up for any suggestions!

Offline Abby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:50:35 PM »
My pup is currently on Innova puppy food. Its really great organic food with no fillers. I also give her carrots on a regular basis... its helps keep her teeth clean.

Offline brenlynn

• i love my roxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 06:18:36 PM »
i feed roxy pro plan dry food with sometimes a bit of canned food by pro plan as well. that's all she gets! haha.

Offline Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 08:55:36 AM »
Cash is on the Beneful puppy food as well.  My breeder started him on this.  When I asked the vet if I should be giving him something else, he said Purina brands aren't as bad as some may think and is fine to keep him on this.  We've had dogs in the past that were on the more expensive foods and I personally don't see any difference with their coats or overall health. 
Darcee

Offline Mai Tai

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 10:14:05 AM »
Sounds good to me Cash.  I will stay on the Beneful too, though he seems to be getting a little more picky about it.  Sometimes he does not want his morning feeding though he wolfs down his evening one.  He is 9 months now, so maybe does not need two feeding anymore.  What do you all think?

Offline Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »
Cash doesn't eat much in the morning either even at 3 mos.  I think that whether you feed your dog once or twice a day really depends on how active your dog is.  Do you work during the day?  I am currently at home for the spring/summer, but I know when I used to work, I'd feed the dog (I only had one at the time) in the morning and he'd still have most if not all the food left until I got home then he'd eat it.  Dogs are social animals and like to eat with their people.  :)  That might be part of why he's not eating too.
Darcee

Offline Mai Tai

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:48:01 PM »
I agree with them being social animals and wanting to eat with others.  Mai Tai will not eat unless someone is in the kitchen with him, but lately, even when I am in the kitchen having my coffee, he will not eat much of his breakfast.  He is very active.  We take one full hour walk a day plus about 4 more 20 minute walks, and he plays with the kids in the yard...Maybe he is too tired to eat...LOL.  I know lots of small dogs need to eat at least twice a day to keep up their blood sugar, but Mai Tai is about 13 lbs, so maybe he is done growing and does not need as much food.  Oh well, I will offer it anyway, unless he starts to refuse it completely.  Thanks for the info.  Talk to you soon

Offline LBBUGS13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 10:38:11 PM »
I know this an older post, but thought I would continue ...

Kuma was on puppy chow, and I slowly switched him over to Blue Buffalo dry puppy food and mix in once a day a tbsp of Life's Abundance Chicken & Crab dinner in sauce.  He seems to like it, cause he eats everything on the floor that isn't nailed down (today was a label glued to the side of the carrier that he managed to gnaw of the side).  So he apparently isn't too picky!

Offline shorkiejem

• My Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 02:06:19 PM »
Jemma is still on her raw diet and I'm not changing it.  I put her updated pix up.  I think she is so pretty and all she has is the raw diet. Her coat is nice and smooth. She LOVES it.  She gets more raw chicken and turkey than anything.  She does get a little beef but I'm easy on it because of too much protein.  Once in a while some pork but not the bone. 
She'll eat her chicken bones though. Like a chicken leg bone.  Remember NOT cooked, everything raw.  Loves bananas, a little apple, green beans, raw egg, carrots, sweet potatoes.  Cottage cheese and pain yogurt.  Teaspoon here and there, lol.  All's good.  No fleas, no worms.  But in December Jemma and I went to Florida to my son's for the holidays.  And their Maltese had fleas and gave them to Jemma.  YIKES, I FREAKED OUT!!!
As soon as we got home and it was late at night, I never let her on the floor.  Took her straight into the tub and gave her a bath with the Dawn dish detergent.  That stuff is the best for fleas.  They went bye bye and never returned.
Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Offline Mai Tai

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Wow, I did not know that about Dawn dish detergent.  Wonder if it would work on head lice the next time it is going around at the school.  Thank God my girls have never caught it, but it would be gơd to know if they did.  Glad Jemma is better now.  No fleas here, but I would dread having them.

Offline Ann

• Shorkies are so cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 03:49:53 PM »
Are you sure that Dawn Dish detergent is safe for your dog. I do understand you need to get rid of those fleas but PLEASE be careful as you can posion your dog. If you only use it ocassionally I guess it wouldn't hurt.  :'(
Ann

Offline shorkiejem

• My Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 02:19:59 AM »
Dawn is very safe for your dog.  I know many people who use Dawn.  Dawn is also used to bathe many wild animals that have been rescued.  Just watch they eyes, as with any shampoo.
Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Share the Love!

* Recent Posts

Re: Jasmine by Ann
[September 29, 2014, 02:12:22 AM]

Re: responsible shorkies breeders in California? by Mai Tai
[September 26, 2014, 05:23:09 PM]

Re: Brushing by Mai Tai
[September 26, 2014, 05:19:59 PM]

Re: Jasmine by Mai Tai
[September 26, 2014, 05:16:56 PM]

Re: Jasmine by maddoxmetal